And with that burp, he slept forever. 😦
On Thursday evening the ‘good’ part of me decided to get some veggies and other stuff stocked at home for the maid ‘auntyji‘ as we were to go out of station for the weekend. Having bought enough milk, veggies and fruits for her I stepped into the last shop, picked up 7 eggs and hurried home as it was already 8.40 p.m. I was almost on the last few steps to get into my house when my neighbor barked unexpectedly making me stumble. I lost balance and was about to fall down the stairs, but caught hold of the railing. But my veggie bag wasn’t lucky enough. It fell down those twelve stairs. I stared at the neighbor and barked with the same intensity as him.
“Frudo, I hate you.“
By the way, he is Frudo, our neighbor’s pet dog. A black Pomeranian.
I stepped down and picked up my shopping back and got into the house after giving one more stare to Frudo, who was now quiet.
Once home, I opened the bag to find 3 out of the 7 eggs broken. I slowly removed each of the contents to find that my watermelon was now almost a smoothie mixed with the eggs. And that’s when I was reminded of my phone which immediately started burping, errr ringing.
Yes. You guessed it right! The phone was there inside my shopping bag and now was fast asleep after having had a healthy meal of 3 raw eggs and a few burps.
I yelled. 😡
“Frudo, I hate you even more. I hate you to the power of infinity.”
How could I use a mobile that was completely drenched in egg yolk. I put it beneath the running tap. Alas! It breathed its last with just a few blinks. Later I shifted the SIM to hubby’s old handset and tried it. It didn’t work. That phone too was faulty. Got the phone repaired, but still it wouldn’t work. The SIM too just like the phone was dead.
Sob sob! 😥
So I had an ideal vacation over the weekend with me being completely incommunicado. All thanks to my not-so-beloved Frudo!
I have nothing against pets if they are managed well. Please don’t think that I hate Frudo because he is a dog or because my phone expired because of him or because my SIM card too breathed its last because of him. I honestly DO NOT hate him at all. I am actually annoyed at the carelessness of the owners.
It is just a few weeks back that my other neighbor’s 4-year old daughter fell down the stairs and suffered head injury as she got scared when Frudo started barking. We confronted the owners and they refused to accept their mistake and vowed to remain silent. Last week when the ‘man’ of the house was spotted and I told him about the incident and requested him to keep their door near the stairs locked so that no unaware climbers (children or old people) get injured or shocked. You’ll be amazed at his response.
“Mujhe samajh nahi aata ki log darte kyun hain? A chhota sa baby hi toh hai.”
Translation: “I don’t understand why are people so scared? It’s just a small baby only.“
I couldn’t help but mutter to him, “You won’t understand it since that girl wasn’t your daughter. And you’ll not till you have one.”
But I doubt if he understood it at all.
Shail had written this post, Dog is a dog is a dog, or not?, and her reply to my response which is given below is something that I think every pet owner needs to consider.
This incident taught me seven important lessons.
1. Do not let the ‘good’ part of you think only about the living maid. Give some regard to the non-living phone too.
2. Let your hubby starve but do not ever buy eggs yourself. Leave some work for him.
3. If you do buy them out of your excessive love for your spouse, do not keep them in the shopping bag especially if you have a dog as your neighbor.
4. Watermelon mixed with egg might be a very good face pack and an excellent conditioner for your hair.
6. Put up a notice board on the ground floor requesting everyone to use earplugs while climbing up the stairs to our apartments.
7. And last but not the least, the importance of that old telephone index book that used to adorn the side table in the drawing room of my parents’ home. I have lost all numbers and I do not have any penned down anywhere else. Mom had specifically said that laziness doesn’t take you anywhere. If only I had paid attention.
Very very expensive lessons. Sigh!
Now every time I see Frudo I feel like he is making fun of me. 😦