It was happening right in front of Shikha’s eyes and she couldn’t do anything.
The flames were rising up and engulfing the entire place.
Though they made a call about half an hour ago, the firemen had still not reached.
She could see the flat that she built into a home turning into ashes right in front of her eyes.
Shekhar held her hands and pressed them as if he wanted to say, “It’s okay. We’re all safe.”
“Mamma, where will we sleep now? What will we eat?”, little Vanshika asked while 2 year-old Tanmay looked questioningly.
Bow-wow, bow-wow, went Jimmy as if he was shouting at the flames.
Shikha looked up and thanked her stars for having saved her entire family.
Within seconds, in front of all the people that had gathered around Shikha ran into the burning house.
Nobody had the guts to jump in and stop her. Shekhar kept shouting, “Come back Shikha! Come back. We’ll deal with it.”
Shikha does not turn back and went inside the burning house. She came back after sometime with a bag.
“What was there in the bag?”, thought everyone to themselves.
Shekhar thought it’ll be her ornaments.
The neighbours thought it’ll be her precious clothes.
The kids thought it’ll be their toys.
But what was there in the bag?
As she safely got out of the flames, she sat down on the stairs huffing and panting for breath.
She slowly opened the bag and pulled out the following items.
1. A Jewelry Box which contained nothing but some pebbles, stones and feathers that she had collected as a child. Everybody thought her to have lost her senses to have gotten into the rising flames just to bring back some pebbles, stones and feathers.
2. Eight Diaries each of which was just too special for her as each one was dedicated to the various stages of her life and included some really priceless memories.
3. A Cardboard Box which included a bunch of letters from her grandparents, father and one of her friends whom she lost a few years ago. It also included a few greeting cards that she had received from Shekhar during their courtship period.
4. A Plastic Box which included two sets of cute little baby mittens, baby clothes, two bottles and a few black baby bangles. To everyone’s surprise it also included two used pregnancy test strips.
5. A box of Ferrero Rocher which her little sister Radhika had sent as her birthday gift.
Everyone kept telling Shikha how senseless it was for her to have entered into the burning house to get all these immaterial things.
But Shekhar just sat next to her and put his arm around her. He knew exactly how much those immaterial things mattered to her.
Suddenly Shikha screamed, “Oops!!! I forgot the most important thing. I’ll have to go back and get it.”
Just when she was trying to get in, Shekhar stopped her and asked what it was. “Oh I forgot to pick the scrap book in which I had pasted the petals of the roses you had gifted me and the wrappers of the chocolates that you bought me before marriage. It also had the two tags, ‘It’s a boy.’ and ‘It’s a girl.’ that were there on the cradles of Vanshika and Tanmay in the hospital.”
Everyone had a hearty laugh.
I can very well relate to Shikha and her madness because I’m one such mad sentimental buffoon. Are you? 🙂
This post is part of the WordPress Daily Prompts : 365 Writing Prompts program where the aim is to post at least once a day based on the prompts that they have provided. Today’s prompt is, “Burning down the house: Your home is on fire. Grab five items (assume all people and animals are safe). What did you grab?”